There are many ways to be involved with First Church Outreach Ministries this summer and fall. Opportunities and options abound including the invitations to donate specific items needed by JUMP (the Joint Urban Ministry Project), Small Potatoes and COTS that are mentioned here. Your time and skills are also needed to make sandwiches for Small Potatoes, to prepare and share dinner at Vermont Dismas House, to help the New Farms for New Americans farmers weed their fields, help host a program for the Vermont IBUTWA Initiative, assist with our Outreach Ministry to New Americans and to help with the Run for JUMP or the upcoming CROP Hunger Walk.
To RSVP, contact the person listed and/or Lucy Samara, Director of Outreach Ministries, to learn more!
• FIRST CHURCH VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: RSVP to be part of our paper handling volunteer team… volunteers are needed regularly or periodically to help fold and organize paperwork for our church, COTS (Committee on Temporary Shelter) and for JUMP (the Joint Urban Ministry Project). This work is simple and important and we need your hands! Please RSVP to: Lucy Samara or Chrissy Forbes.
• SMALL POTATOES: If you shop at Costco, you can help the Saturday morning Small Potatoes community breakfast and bag lunch program that is served at our church. Please donate 1 or more of the giant cans of chunk light tuna available at Costco; we need 2 cans a week – 104 for the year! Just mark the can(s) Small Potatoes with a permanent marker and drop your donation off at the Church. Want to help make sandwiches for Small Potatoes? Contact Becky Winward to be added to a sandwich crew.
• REFUGEE OUTREACH: Volunteers are needed to assist refugees as tutors, with transportation and conversational English. Please be in touch with Director of Outreach Ministries, Lucy Samara, if you want to learn more.
• COTS DAYSTATION LUNCH: Volunteer groups and businesses are taking turns making lunches to bring to the COTS Daystation – a day shelter that is located on an interim basis next door at the Methodist Church parsonage on Buell Street. Want to be part of a First Church effort to provide a lunch? If yes, contact Lucy Samara for details.
• JOIN OUR FIRST RESPONSE VOLUNTEER CONSTRUCTION TEAM: Want to help organize a Volunteer Work Day to benefit Habitat for Humanity, a VT Flood Relief Project, or a local non-profit? If yes, please be in touch with Lucy Samara.