The Vision Team is excited to invite you to participate in a Vision Project Team – we promise it will be a fun and interesting ride!
We’ve shared the six Vision Projects that received the most votes from the congregation – and have published expanded descriptions of the Vision Projects – including the preliminary proposals that support each of the six areas. The Vision Team made some change to the process timeline in mid-July – keeping the Vison Project Team registration open through September 15. Learn more by opening the sign up form HERE.
- Participate in a Vision Project Team:
- Learn more and sign up for a Vision Project Team using our ONLINE SIGN UP FORM by September 15.
- Paper sign up forms are also available at church, or contact Caroline in the Church Office (802 862 5010, ext. 4; [email protected]).
- CLICK HERE to learn more about each of the six Vision Projects and use this information to decide which team to join.
Thank you for participating in this important step toward forming a faithful future for First Church! – The FCCB Vision Team: Rob Backus, Mandy Grace, Tony Hall, Jennifer Jorgenson, Susan Saunders, Charlie Smith, Kipene Tabu, and Claire Bamberg, Consultant
More than 125 votes were submitted for 9 preliminary Vision Proposals in late May 2022! Our Vision Team writes: “Please share a big “Thank You” from our Vision Team to all who took part in online and in person vision voting during the last week of May. We will have an update for you soon!”
Recent phases of our Vision Process are described below. They lead up to online and in person voting at the end May. Vote tallies will determine areas of study for groups meeting over the summer months to formalize specific proposals to be presented to the congregation at a fall meeting.
You can watch the live stream of the May 29 after worship Vision Proposal Presentation, Discussion and In Person Voting gathering here:
WHEN & HOW WILL VISION PROPOSAL VOTING WORK?
Welcome to the next phase of our vision-to-reality work! In this phase you will find proposals that are balcony-view, with broad parameters articulated.
As indicated throughout the process, your Visioning Team has carefully, thoughtfully, and comprehensively reviewed the submitted proposals and grouped them according to topics and populations served.
- Who was able to vote? All members and friends of First Church.
- In person voting took place at First Church on Sunday May 29 following the 10am worship during the Vision Team’s Vision Proposal Presentations, Discussion and In Person Voting.
- The recording of the live stream of the gathering is posted above and is linked HERE
- Online Voting (now closed) was open and promoted in late May. The online voting information included descriptions of 9 Preliminary Vision Proposal Descriptions.
Vote for one proposal:
- This was intentionally not a ranked-choice voting system, but a caucus system, that the proposals might be quickly narrowed down to a few finalists.
- These finalists will move immediately into development of formal proposals, that will take a good deal of research over the summer, to be presented to the congregation for a final vote in the fall.
- More than 125+ people voted!
– The First Church Vision Team
Learn more about our Vision Process…
- Read the Rev. Elissa Johnk’s April 29 letter updating all on our Vision Process HERE
- Read the Rev. Elissa Johnk’s May 6 letter on our Vision Process HERE
SPECIAL PROGRAMS were held after worship on April 24, May 1, May 8 & May 15: With our Congregation’s Listening Sessions, Community Listening Sessions, and Lenten Book Study Groups concluded, we turned our attention to reflecting and sharing ideas as all are were invited to craft vision proposals (due Sunday May 22) for the whole congregation to consider as we seek to make a difference in the world, in God’s name.
Catching Up on Visioning?
- CLICK HERE to watch the 5/8/22 Vision Gathering – Week 3
- CLICK HERE to watch the 5/1/22 Vision Gathering – Week 2
- CLICK HERE to watch the 4/24/22 Vision Gathering – Week 1
- CLICK HERE to watch all or portions of the recordings of the April 24, May 1 and May 8 worship services. These services included leadership from our Vision Team, our Vision Team consultant the Rev. Dr. Claire Bamberg, and participants in the three Lenten Book Study experiences and highlight our visioning process.
- Vision proposals were due on Sunday May 22. Proposals were invited – and online and printable templates were provided.
Getting caught up with visioning at First Church – here’s more about the process we started in 2020:
In response to your feedback, we selected these books to read as a congregation.
Check them out to catch up:
- Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help (And How to Reverse It) by Robert D. Lupton, 2011 “Toxic Charity shows us how to start serving needy and impoverished members of our communities in a way that will lead to lasting, real-world change.”
- Praying with Our Feet: Pursuing Justice and Healing on the Streetsby Lindsey Krinks – 2021 “Readers looking for ways to get involved in their communities will find plenty to motivate them in Krinks’s personal testament.” –Publishers Weekly
- An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States, by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz – 2014 “The first history of the United States told from the perspective of indigenous peoples.”
- Check at the Church Office if you are interested in borrowing a copy – we are circulating a few copies of each book: [email protected]
- The Rev. Elissa Johnk’s 2022 Lenten Sermon Series: Discerning a Communal Vision” – March 6 through April 10 lifted up the responses to the four questions from our many Vision Cottage Meetings – and introduced the three books selected for our Lenten Book Study. Similarly – the worship services led by our Vison Team on April 24, May and May 8 – also lift up the themes of these three books.
- You can find these worship services using this LINK to our website’s Sermons Online page.
What is the vision process?
- Our Vision Team was formally commissioned and charged* by the congregation in late summer of 2020. The Team meets regularly, collaborating with consultant, the Rev. Dr. Claire Bamberg, church leaders, the congregation, and community members – to engage us in developing a plan for the future mission and ministries of First Church that will include a set of goals and a strategic plan to guide us over the next decade.
* To read the Vision Team’s original charge, and documents such as their 2020 and 2021 Annual Reports – use this LINK to go to our Vision Team website page and scroll down.