As leaders and educators of children at First Congregational Church, our goals are:
- to help our children to have a positive experience and feel part of the Christian community;
- to teach them to understand the Bible as a source of God’s word for us today, and for practical and inspirational guidance;
- to foster a sense of mission and concern for others;
- and to nurture their faith, inspire their spiritual growth, and encourage their growth in Christian discipleship.
The Children’s Ministries Committee works with children and their families from birth through eighth grade. During the school year, we provide weekly, age-appropriate church school classes for children ages 3 through grade 8.
Using “Seasons of the Spirit” curriculum, our classes are led by teaching teams of two adults, who may be assisted by one or two teen helpers. We combine grade levels into the following classes:
- Pre-school (ages 3 and 4)
- Kindergarten/1st Grade
- 2nd/3rd Grade
- 4th/5th Grade
- 6th/7th/8th Grade
Our youngest children (birth-age 2) are cared for in our newly revitalized nursery/toddler space by a paid staff person and at least one adult or teen volunteer. Having this person available on a consistent basis makes our nursery a calm, nurturing place for our littlest ones.
Throughout the school year, the Children’s Ministries Committee also sponsors family oriented events, such as our Church School Open House, fall Book Fair, Christmas craft luncheon, family contra dances, and family movie nights.