First Congregational Church of Burlington, Vermont (United Church of Christ) welcomes you to join us in worship, fellowship, and service. We are a diverse congregation based in the heart of the city that lives our commitments, values, and beliefs: “Welcoming All, Seeking Justice, Finding God.” We invite you to learn more about our faith community and its members and explore how we might share this pilgrimage together. Read our Open and Affirming Declaration.
Worship services are on Sunday mornings at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m.
Worship is at the heart of who we are at “First Church.” Church should leave you inspired, comforted, challenged and refreshed. It should feel surprisingly relevant while being rooted in our Christian heritage. When you’re new, showing up to a church can feel risky, but it’s the only way to truly discover a church community. We pray that you and your family will discover the radical hospitality and deep faith experiences we seek to provide here at First Church UCC of Burlington. You are invited to bring your whole self to worship. This is a safe place for you to question, learn, grow, and explore.
Worship isn’t just for adults. Jesus believed children held a special role in the community and we agree. Your whole family is invited to stay throughout all of worship and take part in everything we do together. We have “fidget bags” and art/drawing supplies for children and youth to use in the pews.
We have a fun and faithful:
- Nursery/Toddler Room and a Pre-K/Kindergarten Room that open at 9:50 a.m. on Sunday mornings;
- Church School – for Grades 1 through 5 – that gets started during the 10 a.m. worship following the “Word of God for All Ages”;
- Middle School Youth Program – for Grades 6 through 8 – that gets started during the 10 a.m. worship following the “Word of God for All Ages.” The Middle School Program also includes some social gatherings and community service projects.
- High School Youth Program – for Grades 9 thru 12 – that gets started during the 10 a.m. worship following the “Word of God for All Ages.” The High School Program also includes opportunities for service (local and travel) and a Confirmation Program.
Celebrating Communion – All are welcome! We celebrate Communion on the first Sunday of every month during the 8 a.m. worship and again during a multi-generational worship service at 10 a.m. (includes Church School, Middle and High School age children and youth). Everyone is welcome to join in Communion – the elements are un-fermented grape juice and gluten free bread.
All are Welcome and Invited to Sunday Worship Services:
– 8am in the Chapel – enter the building through the glass doors at the top of the main parking lot – the Chapel will be on your left.
– 10am in the Sanctuary – the Sanctuary Organ and Piano accompany our Sanctuary Choir; Children’s & Youth Choirs. Our Nursery/Toddler; PreSchool/PreK & K; Church School (Grades 1 thru 5); Middle School Youth Program & High School Youth Program are rooted in the 10 a.m. hour – for details and updates see the Church Newsletter linked to the right on this page.
Online Giving and Pledging:
To donate online to First Congregational Church, please visit our E-Giving page. To make a pledge, please request a Pledge Form and Stewardship Brochure from the Church Office or use our online pledge form – please see the 2019-2020 Stewardship Brochure here.