Welcome to First Congregational UCC of Burlington
Lent begins in the wilderness. Our Lenten worship series and discussion groups will explore the theme of wilderness as we follow the journey of Jesus through scripture and worship from Ash Wednesday through Holy Week and Easter (Feb. 14 thru March 31).
Brené Brown’s excellent book: Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone will be used to support a thoughtful, interesting discussion of the worship series.
You are invited to start a discussion group – or join a discussion group – discussion guides provided!
CLICK HERE to learn more & for discussion group sign-up information.
Lenten Worship & Discussion Groups:
- The YouTube live stream will be available 5 to 10 minutes prior to the 10am worship each Sunday.
- You can watch on any “smart” handheld device, computer or on your television. The First Church YouTube channel is: youtube.com/FirstChurchBTV.
- The Order of Worship, announcements and celebrations and prayers are linked under the YouTube live stream title and will be posted here on Sunday morning:
ALL are welcome – you are invited to The Table – an evening worship experience for those seeking to be nourished and known in loving community. Join us for worship music, prayer, the Word, and a meal – every Friday during Lent (starts February 16).
Whether you’ve been away from church for a while, have never been to church before, or are simply looking for something different on your spiritual journey, The Table is a gathering for all those seeking a place to be fully known and loved – where authenticity meets belonging.
- Mocktails will start at 6pm.
- Worship will begin at 6:30 followed by dinner.
- In the spirit of hospitality, we will endeavor to have meals that meet common dietary restrictions, but please let us know if you have specific needs (at [email protected]
Stewardship 2024 – Together we will…
Service & Program Opportunities:
Our Outreach Team invites you – to enjoy a great free, drop-in breakfast on Sunday February 25 or any Sunday in March! Want to participate as a volunteer or contributor during March? Use this LINK to volunteer to help build a breakfast!
Call to artists: The midway gallery at First Church is seeking submissions on the theme of Wilderness and Belonging for the Lenten season.
Brene Brown describes the wilderness as: “Belonging so fully to yourself that you’re willing to stand alone—an untamed, unpredictable place of solitude and searching. The wilderness can often feel unholy because we can’t control it, or what people think about our choice of whether to venture into that vastness or not. But it turns out to be the place of true belonging, and it’s the bravest and most sacred place you will ever stand.”
Inspired by this, we are asking artists to create or submit existing art based on the following prompts:
- Where have you been able to know and be your true self? This might be a location, a relationship, a time in your life, an activity or some other interaction where you felt fully authentic.
- Has there been a time when community felt like chaos, and you leaned in instead of jumping out?
Space in the gallery is limited, and while we are grateful for all submissions, unfortunately we may not be able to exhibit all of them.
Please send all questions and submissions to Director of Congregational Life, Ava Bilton via email
Silent Vigil for Racial Justice: All are invited to stand in solidarity for racial justice NEXT SUNDAY from 11:30am – 12pm. Donations of individually packaged snacks for the Elmwood Community Shelter are invited at this event.