Champlain Association Fall 2021 Meeting – October 24
The leaders of the Champlain Association of the Vermont Conference of the United Church of Christ are planning a fall business meeting – on Zoom – for Sunday October 24 at 1pm. In addition to clergy and congregation delegates – all UCC members are invited to join in this gathering. The Zoom link for connecting to this meeting is: https://bit.ly/vtcuccfallmeeting2021 You can also call into the meeting: +1 646 558 8656 The meeting ID is: Meeting ID: 840 1839 1421 Contact Lucy Samara, Communications Coordinator at [email protected] for the agenda and meeting materials.
WORSHIP In Person at First Church or Online!
CLICK HERE or above to watch the recording of the worship on October 24on the FirstChurchBTV YouTube Channel.
CLICK HERE for the Order of Worship for Sunday October 24
CLICK HERE for the Announcements for Sunday October 24
You are invited to worship with First Church in person at 10am on Sundays in our Sanctuary at 38 South Winooski Avenue in Burlington OR on the FirstChurchBTV YouTube Channel. Worship services are live-streamed at 10am on Sundays on and the recordings are available anytime following the worship service. Fellowship time follows worship – in person outside on the First Church porch and lawns – and online on Zoom) following the live-stream of worship.
- VISITORS: This is a great time to visit First Church – in person for worship on Sunday morning at 10am – or remotely – as the worship will be live-streamed on our YouTube Channel at 10am on Sunday morning – a recording is available anytime after worship.
- PARKING: On Sunday mornings, the First Church parking lot is most needed and reserved for – our visitors, friends and members with mobility challenges. If that is your situation – please do park in the church lot. If you can drop off passenger(s) and navigate from street parking or the parking garage – please do. Thank you.
- MUSIC – We are in a search process for a Director of Music Ministries – meanwhile we are thankful for our lay musicians and vocalists!
- Ann Vivian is serving as our Fall Music Coordinator. If you are interested in participating as a musician or vocalist – or both – please be in touch with Ann ([email protected]) to learn more. All interested in participating in Bell Choir (novices welcome!) are encouraged to contact Director Jennie Coleman ([email protected]) about participating in rehearsals on Wednesday evenings from 6:45-8:15pm.
CHILDREN & YOUTH: For up to date information about the following programs for children and youth – use this LINK
- Church School for grades K thru 5 – each Sunday morning – in person at 10am – or remotely on Zoom from 9:15 to 9:45 am;
- Our in person Nursery/PreSchool at 10am Sundays First Church, and
- The Haven – our programs for middle and high school youth.
LIVING WELL SERMON SERIES: Our fall sermon series: “Living Well” got started on Sunday September 19 when Elissa’ sermon focused on the soul and continued on September 26 with a sermon focused on discerning vocation. The sermon series – which continues through October 31 – is based on the Rev. Scott Stoner’s book: Your Living Compass. Our discussion groups have started – the materials are also available for you individually here.
- Copies of Stoner’s book are available at Church. To purchase a copy ($17) – contact Office Manager, Caroline Catlin.
- Watch Elissa’s September 19 sermon HERE
- The Discussion Guide for the first sermon is linked HERE
- Watch Elissa’s September 26 sermon HERE.
- The Discussion Guide for the second sermon is linked HERE
- Watch Elissa’s October 17 sermon HERE
- The Discussion Guide for the third sermon is linked HERE
- The Self Assessment Tools described in the weekly discussion guides are grouped and linked HERE
FIRST CHURCH 101 – Explore Church Membership with the Rev. Elissa Johnk – All interested in learning more about membership at First Church are encouraged to participate with the Rev. Elissa Johnk – and First Church staff and lay leaders – following worship on Sundays October 17, 24 and 31. Details to come in upcoming First Church Newsletters or contact us at [email protected] to let us know that you are interested in receiving a specific invitation.
FALL SUNDAY VISION MEETINGS: Our Vision Team invites your participation in a Sunday 11:30am VISION MEETING – in person at First Church – or virtually on Zoom. We need every First Church member and friend to participate!
If you have yet to participate in a Vision Meeting, please sign up:
- Sign up for an 11:30 Sunday Vision Meeting on October 24 or 31 with the Vision Team representative at Fellowship Time on Sunday after worship or contact Susan Saunders at [email protected] any time. Thank you!
CLICK HERE to learn more about our Vision Team and our visioning process.
IT’S TIME TO PRE-ORDER CHICKEN & BISCUIT TAKE OUT DINNER TICKETS!
Thank you for pre-ordering tickets NOW as we try to meet a goal of 80 pre-orders!
- Jennie Coleman, Women of the Church and our FCCB Connections Team are inviting you to buy a ticket(s) – or donate a dinner ticket(s) – for a delicious take-out dinner on Saturday November 13
- Dinners are $12 each or a maximum of $40 for a family of 4 or more! Please place your order today using this online LINK: https://bit.ly/chickenandbiscuit2021
- Got questions? Want to volunteer to help prepare the dinner or donate a homemade apple or pumpkin pie? Please email us: [email protected]
NEWS & UPCOMING EVENTS
For information about upcoming events – CLICK HERE – on the “Looking Ahead” graphic
Great news! The Music Director Search Team has heard your feedback through the Visioning process, and we are live with our search! The job description is available HERE or to pick up at church. Please distribute widely to anyone you think might be interested. The job description is also being shared through local and national channels. If you have any questions, please contact the Search Team at [email protected].
JOB OPENING – SECURITY STAFF: Learn more HERE