WORSHIP at First Church or Online!
You are invited to worship with First Church at 10am on Sundays in our Sanctuary at 38 South Winooski Avenue in Burlington OR on the FirstChurchBTV YouTube Channel. Worship services are live-streamed at 10am on Sundays on and the recordings are available anytime following the worship service. Fellowship time follows worship at First Church and online on Zoom) following the live-stream of worship.
For more information about visiting First Church, music, parking, our current Covid guidelines and more – CLICK HERE
All are invited to WORSHIP on Sunday January 23 at 10am – at First Church – or remotely on YouTube: The Rev. Elissa Johnk will be leading worship this Sunday. Music leadership will be provided by the Vermont Quartet, Eclectica featuring: Sofia Hirsch and Laura Markowitz, violins; Ana Ruesink, viola; and John Dunlop, cello. Eclectica will be playing meditative music for winter based on Scandinavian folk tunes, arranged by the Danish String Quartet.
Worshiping at First Church?
- All are welcome and invited! Our Covid Response Team meets weekly to make any needed adjustments to our gathering guidelines in response to the current Covid environment. Learn more about visiting and worshiping at First Church HERE
- CLICK HERE on Sunday morning at 10am to watch the live-stream of worship (or tune in later for a recording) on our FirstChurchBTV YouTube Channel
- Check back here on Sunday for the Order of Worship
- Check back here on Sunday for the Announcements
- Check back here on Sunday for the remote worship option for kids – a link to Church School on Zoom following the Word of God for (sm)All Ages.
- Check back here on Sunday for a link to the remote (Zoom) Fellowship option following the worship service.
- Visiting First Church? Complete our Welcome Card using this LINK.
NEWS & UPCOMING
- electing all officers, boards and teams;
- voting on the budget for fiscal year January 1 through December 31, 2022;
- any other business which may properly come before the members assembled.
Dawn C. Plante, Clerk
Annual Meeting Information: Use this link: https://bit.ly/annualmeeting2022info for reports, a detailed agenda, the slate of candidates for leadership positions – the page will be updated as these items become available.
NAME TAGS help BUILD COMMUNITY We’re rolling out new, magnetic name tags! Please use this LINK and let us know your specific name request (nickname, pronouns, etc.). Thank you
JOB OPENING – SECURITY STAFF: Learn more HERE
THE WOMEN’S BOOK GROUP READING LIST for 21-22: The Women’s Book Group met in June to share ideas for books to discuss this year. Their selections are linked HERE. Book discussions are scheduled for the 4th Monday of the month at 7pm – on Zoom .
The January 2022 selection is: The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd – Penny Rieley. Please plan to join the Zoom at 7pm on Monday January 24. Contact organizer Janice Clements to be added to the book group e-list for the Zoom link.
The February book is: Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer.
Upcoming “Haven” Youth Event: All middle and high school students are welcome to join us on Friday, January 21st at the College St. Church from 6:30-8pm for a game of “Throw Throw Avocado” and more fun activities! Our full youth group calendar for the spring semester will be distributed soon.
- Use this LINK for the Winter/Spring Youth Calendar.
- Contact Hannah Sachs at: [email protected] for more information and to be added to out youth mailing list.
.Our February 6 Silent Vigil for Social Justice will be from 2 to 2:30 – all are invited to stand in solidarity for racial justice. Bring a sign and dress warmly for this important monthly ministry. (Note the time change to accommodate our noon-time Annual Meeting on February 6.)
Mark your calendar for a fun virtual event – the First Church Valentine’s Day Auction on Saturday February 12 on Zoom! Our Connections Team will soon have lots of details to share about items to be auctioned and the Zoom link and more. Mark your calendar for some fun on Saturday February 12!
MUSIC SEARCH COMMITTEE ANNOUNCES NEW DIRECTOR AMY SHORTT: In December, our Music Director Search Committee shared the good news that Amy Shortt will begin her ministry with us as Director of Music on February 15, 2022! Use this LINK to learn more about Amy
OUR THRIFT STORE – THE POSSIBILITY SHOP is OPEN: The Possibility Shop is open – 10am-3pm on Wednesdays and Fridays.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Requirements & Limitations include: Masks are required; physical distancing required; limited number of shoppers at a time (you may need to wait for your turn to shop).
- DONATIONS: Please bring Possibility Shop donations to First Church any time between 10am and 3pm – Tuesday though Friday. Clean clothing and household items in good condition are always needed.
- ESPECIALLY NEEDED NOW: Warm winter outerwear for children and youth.
- VOLUNTEERS INVITED: On open days (Wed. & Fri., 10-3); on weekdays when the shop is closed (Tues. & Thurs.); &/or projects at home.
- Greet customers in the midway (near Church Office), count those entering and exiting, keeping the number within the allotted safe amount… a great opportunity for readers and knitters!
- Assist with the financial aspects of the shop, @two to three hours per month.
- Handle and help sell older, valuable items that are donated to the shop.
- Questions? call Karan Dewar 802-922-3821 or Brenda Fraser 802-862-4747. Thank you.
We are hosting regular and periodic gatherings using the platform “Zoom”. You should be able to join a meeting simply by clicking on the link below the event, and following the instructions. You can also call in using the numbers listed below each event. For more detailed instructions on how Zoom works, CLICK HERE.
Thursday Morning Bible Study with the Rev. Elissa Johnk and periodic guest leaders – is on Zoom – at 9am on Thursdays. All are welcome in this informal setting that will engage you in learning more about and discussing the scripture reading for the upcoming Sunday. The Zoom LINK is: https://bit.ly/BibleStudywithElissa
OUR PODCAST: FIRST CHURCH PHONIC
CLICK HERE for First Church Phonic – https://anchor.fm/firstchurchbtv – offering you the opportunity to listen to:
– Spirit Seekers Interviews – including recent Spirit Seeker guests: Helen Head, Becky Levasseur, Richard Gagne, Hilah Clarke and Carlanne Herzog! Listen online on HERE.