As people of faith, we understand that Science, Math and Reason are all gifts of God. As such, we trust the research that indicates we must do our part to flatten the curve. All of this has informed our decisions to do our part to lessen the advance of the Coronavirus. We are implementing the practices urged by the CDC and W.H.O., doing our very best to protect the health of all.
What does this mean?
From now, until further notice, we will offer worship exclusively online. Our small groups, teams, task forces – anything for which you formerly came to 38 South Winooski Ave. will, henceforth, be conducted via Zoom or conference calls.
GUIDELINES FOR THE CONGREGATION
May 21, 2020: As the country begins to ponder re-emerging from our homes, I am reminded how grateful I am to live in Vermont, which leads the nation in successful response. As we are consistently reminded, however, now is not the time to lose our diligence. Even as restrictions are loosened, we are being asked to follow best practices – staying close to home, wearing masks, and limiting social gatherings.
CLICK HERE for The First Church BTV Covid-19 General Guidelines including guidelines related to: Worship, Team Life, Office and Building Protocol, Pastoral Care, the Possibility Shop and Renters.
UPDATE FROM OUR TASK FOR FOR RE-OPENING
June 18, 2020: In her sermon on workplace relationships this winter, Elissa called worship our “staff meeting.” It is the place we come to “discuss the issues at hand, encourage one another, and equip ourselves for our particular jobs – spreading the love of God, serving God in the world, each in our respective assignments.” It has been just over three months since we were able to physically gather for “staff meeting”.
CLICK HERE to read the full update from the Task Force for ReOpening
Transformation & Vision: Our Next Steps
June 2020: Few are the moments in one’s life that are so transformational that you know you are experiencing one in real time: saying “I do”, the birth of a child, the death of a beloved. They are moments so profound, so disorienting – so re-orienting – that you know you will be changed forever.
Pentecost, which we just celebrated in worship, was one such moment for Peter. Having denied even knowing Jesus three times, at Pentecost he finally had the chance to take it all back – to be who Jesus believed he was: the rock upon which even our church here at 38 South Winooski is founded. Here at First Church, we are in an extraordinary place, because we are living in the middle of two transformational moments at once.
CLICK HERE to read Elissa Johnk’s Message: Transformation & Vision: Our Next Steps
CARING FOR OUR COMMUNITY
- For any prayer requests, emotional support, or other assistance you may need during this time, please email our Partners in Pastoral Care and Clergy at [email protected]
- Our Partners in Pastoral Care and Deacons Teams are working together to be in regular contact with our members and friends during this time. If you haven’t received a call, or know of someone who is in need, please email [email protected]
Your stewardship is more important than ever in this time. You can mail in your checks, or use one of the options below.
- GIVE to First Church by texting: FCCBUCC to 73256 to give a gift using your text messaging. Standard text message rates apply.
- JUMP – with COVID-19 precautions in place in Vermont – JUMP has created “JUMP FLEX” – so that phone and email can be used to connect people in need with valuable and much needed direct services.
- Our AA and NA meetings will resume meeting at First Church when they feel comfortable after “stay at home” is lifted.
- Small Potatoes continues serving Saturday morning breakfast and bag lunch (now outside) at First Church having made adjustments to menu and serving methods; volunteers have agreed to disinfect any space used following the meal.
- The New Alpha Missionary Baptist Church has temporarily cancelled all in-person events.
- The Possibility Shop is closed and can not accept any donations at this time. We are grateful to our volunteers, donors and customers for their generosity and patience.
- The Office will be open from 10-3 Tuesday thru Friday, but most staff will continue working from home for the time being. To make sure that staff will be present, it is always good to call ahead (802-862-5010, ext.4) before visiting the church. Ring the doorbell when you arrive.
- A small crew of volunteers will be regularly disinfecting the common areas for the safety of our office staff and volunteers.