As people of faith, we understand that Science, Math and Reason are all gifts of God. As such, we trust the research that indicates we must do our part to flatten the curve. All of this has informed our decision to close our doors, that we might do our part to lessen the advance of the Coronavirus. The sooner we all implement the practices urged by the CDC and W.H.O., the sooner we will come through this and get back to normal.
What does this mean? From now, until further notice, we will offer worship exclusively online. Our small groups, teams, task forces – anything for which you formerly came to 38 South Winooski Ave. will, henceforth, be conducted via Zoom or conference calls.
- All-Church Worship will be online at 10am on Sundays.
- If you want to call in to listen to worship, dial: 301-715-8592, then enter: 208-054-269#
- Sundays at 9:30am, we’ll post a video to our YouTube Channel of the Church School lesson for the day.
Over the course of the next few weeks, we will be hosting several regular gatherings using the platform “Zoom”. You should be able to join a meeting simply by clicking on the link below the event, and following the instructions. You can also call in using the numbers listed below each event. For more detailed instructions on how Zoom works, CLICK HERE.
Sundays at 9am, starting March 29th, Past President Amy Mellencamp will host a zoom meeting to discuss the potential sale of the parsonage.
https://zoom.us/j/191606563 Call in: 301-715-8592, then enter 191-606-563#
TUESDAY thru FRIDAY – ZOOM OPTIONS at 3pm: we’ll host zoom meetings for folks interested in participating:
Tuesdays: Music Matters at 3 p.m., led by Director of Music, David Neiweem
Call in: 301-715-8592, then enter 152-915-611#
Wednesdays: Check-in at 3 p.m., led by Lead Minister, Elissa Johnk https://zoom.us/j/849708245
Call in: 301-715-8592, then enter 849-708-245#
Thursdays: Bible Study at 3 p.m., led by Lead Minister, Elissa Johnk
Call in: 301-715-8592, then enter 951-190-153#
Fridays: Poetry Pop-Up at 3 p.m., led by Communications Coordinator, Lucy Samara in collaboration with VT Poet Julie Cadwallader-Staub of College Street Congregational and Director of UVM Interfaith Education and Engagement at UVM, the Rev. Laura Engleken. This Zoom gathering is co-hosted by the UVM Interfaith Center and College Street Congregational Church.
Call in: 301-715-8592, then enter 994-109-977#
FOR FAMILIES AND CHILDREN
Monday-Friday at 10am, First Church Zoom Story Time: we’ll host a zoom meeting just for kids! Join Faith Formation Director, Hilah Clarke, as she reads her favorite children’s books.
Call in: 301-715-8592, then enter 275-121-626#
Wednesdays at 8:30pm, we’ll have a zoom meeting for Parenting in a Pandemic, for all parents to release some steam, find common struggles, and discuss what it means to parent in this time.
Call in: 301-715-8592, then enter 882-133-057#
Sundays at 9:30am, we’ll post a video to our YouTube Channel of the Church School lesson for the day and host a Zoom meeting for the youth (time tbd).
- Confirmation Meetings will occur as scheduled, via Zoom.
Call in: 301-715-8592, then enter 389-249-715#
CARING FOR OUR COMMUNITY
- For any prayer requests, emotional support, or other assistance you may need during this time, please email our Partners in Pastoral Care and Clergy at [email protected]
- Our Partners in Pastoral Care and Deacons Teams are working together to be in regular contact with our members and friends during this time. If you haven’t received a call, or know of someone who is in need, please email [email protected]
Your stewardship is more important than ever in this time. You can mail in your checks, or use one of the options below.
- GIVE to First Church by texting: FCCBUCC to 73256 to give a gift using your text messaging. Standard text message rates apply.
- JUMP – with the “stay at home” order in place in Vermont – JUMP closed from March 24 through 27 to plan a new approach for serving clients at this time. Jump plans to reopen on March 31 – relying on phone and email to connect with people in need.
- Our AA and NA meetings will resume meeting at First Church when the “stay at home” is lifted. The small Wednesday evening Al-Anon meeting is currently schedules to hold meetings; they have agreed to disinfect the space following any meeting.
- Small Potatoes plans to continue serving Saturday morning breakfast and bag lunch (now outside) at First Church making some adjustments to menu and serving methods; volunteers have agreed to disinfect any space used following the meal.
- The New Alpha Missionary Baptist Church has temporarily cancelled all events.
- Other events and rentals are being cancelled at this time. We are in the process of contacting those who have already booked rooms to let them know of this suspension.
- Most staff will be working from home for the time being. A small crew of volunteers will be regularly disinfecting the common areas for the safety of our office staff and volunteers.
EASTER SERVICES AND OFFERINGS
- As the prohibition on gatherings over 250 people lasts through April 15, we are in the process of discerning how best to express the sacredness of Holy Week and Easter services and events through a digital platform.
- Look for more information on Easter and its various programming – services, prayers, flowers, and offerings, etc. during the week of March 30.