WORSHIP at First Church or Online:
You are invited to worship with First Church at 10am on Sundays in our Sanctuary at 38 South Winooski Avenue in Burlington OR on the FirstChurchBTV YouTube Channel. Worship services are live-streamed at 10am on Sundays on and the recordings are available on our YouTube channel anytime following the worship service. Fellowship time follows worship at First Church and online on Zoom) following the live-stream of worship.
All are invited to worship at 10am on Sunday May 29 – in person at First Church – or remotely via the live stream (or later recording) on our YouTube Channel.
The Rev. Elissa Johnk will lead worship on May 29 – Music Director Amy Shortt will lead music – and at 11am – following the worship service our Vision Team will present Vision Proposals for Vote!
CLICK HERE to learn more about this week’s Vision Proposal Voting.
Worshiping at First Church on Sunday at 10am?
- We welcome all to worship in the beautiful Sanctuary at First Congregational Church UCC of Burlington – 38 South Winooski Avenue. All (over age 2) are asked to wear masks in the building.
Worshiping Remotely on Sunday May 29 at 10am?
- Our YouTube Channel – FirstChurchBTV YouTube Channel – has both the 10am live stream of worship and recordings of all past worship services.
- Check back here on Sunday morning to find linked copies of the Order of Worship, Announcements, and Celebrations & Prayers. You will also find Zoom links for the virtual Church School option for children worshiping from home – and for the after worship virtual fellowship on Zoom.
- Visiting First Church in person or remotely? Complete our Welcome Card using this LINK
- Giving to First Church? For more information use this LINK
CLICK HERE for the “Sermons Online” page of this website – giving you access to video recordings of many past worship services at First Church.
We have two upcoming Friday night – 6:30-8pm – fun middle & high school youth events – and a youth service experience planned:
- May 27 – at 6:30pm at First Church is Preview Night – all middle and high school youth – and those completing 5th grade are invited! and…
- June 10 – at 6:30pm at the College Street Church – is a Scavenger Hunt!
- June YES – Youth Experience in Service for Middle & High School Youth – We’re planning a great service experience for youth during the week of June 20, 2022:
- For more information – please contact Hilah Clarke, Director of Faith Formation, at [email protected]
INCLUDE PEACE CAMP in your SUMMER PLANS: Mark your calendar for Peace Camp 2022 – from July 11 – 14, 5 to 7:30pm. Peace Camp promises four great evenings in community. This collaborative event – for all ages and generations – with the College Street Church is a fun, faithful, musical and meaningful!
Peace Camp Needs YOU!
Yes, plans are underway for a great summer Peace Camp for all ages!
The music and fun – the welcoming evening dinner – the interesting activities for all age levels from nursery to preschool, elementary and older youth – and an adult group – can’t happen without a a volunteer crew!
We are collaborating with the College Street Church for Peace Camp and both congregations are seeking volunteers to sign up – we need you to make Peace Camp happen!
- Learn about volunteer opportunities at Peace Camp HERE
- Campers of every age are welcome – sign up HERE
- Got questions? Contact Faith Formation Director Hilah Clarke, [email protected]
THE WOMEN’S BOOK GROUP READING LIST for 21-22: The Women’s Book Group met in June to share ideas for books to discuss this year. Their selections are linked HERE. Book discussions are scheduled for the 4th Monday of the month at 7pm – on Zoom. The next books are:
- May 23 (7pm on Zoom) Freeing Jesus: Rediscovering Jesus as Friend, Teacher, Savior, Lord, Way, and Presence by Diana Butler Bass
Contact organizer Janice Clements to be added to the book group e-list for the Zoom link.
High School Senior Sunday
Welcome Joan O’Gorman!
CLICK HERE for the online form to submit names of students – yourself or those in your immediate or extended family – completing 8th grade, graduating from high school, or completing advanced degrees or certificate programs. Names are requested by June 1!
Silent Vigil for Racial Justice: Bring a sign and gather in solidarity on Sunday June 5 from 1 to 1:30 on the front lawn at church.
Plans are taking shape for a joy-filled Jazz Sunday Worship Service on June 12 at 10am!
The Onion River Jazz Band will play and ice cream will be scooped! Mark your calendar for June 12.
The Outreach Team is organizing a group of 5-6 individuals/families who will commit to contributing a meal once per month for people living at Burlington’s Anew Place. Interested? Please contact Reid Willis of our Outreach Team at: [email protected] for more information.
There are many ways to support First Church by helping out… outside!
- If your “green thumb” is experienced… or if you are a novice gardener or mower… we are grateful for your involvement and will help you get started.
- Many volunteers work in pairs – we can match you up with someone or you are welcome to schedule your time volunteering with someone.
- Please complete the form linked here: https://bit.ly/greenthumbfccb and we will be in touch soon!
- Got questions? Contact Caroline Catlin in the Church Office: 802 862 5010 ext 4 or email: [email protected] OR contact Bob Wolf of our Connections Team at: [email protected]
The art prints featured in the First Church Midway Art Gallery during Lent are of paper lace designed by artist Hannah Garrity.In her artist’s statement, Garrity notes that this exhibit: “reminds us to live fully—as we pursue justice and hope, or express grief and gratitude. If love is our beginning, how can we live our lives led by love’s promises? And so, this Lent, let us trust—fully—that we belong to God. Let us increase our capacity to receive and give grace. Let us discover the expansive life God dreams for us.”
All are invited to visit the Art Gallery at First Church to reflect on the Lenten themes represented in Hannah Garrity’s four pieces:
- Temptation (Jesus in the Wilderness)
- Vessel (New Life Springs Forth)
- Inexplicable Joy (The Prodigal Son)
- Prepared (Easter)
NAME TAGS help BUILD COMMUNITY We’ve rolled out new, magnetic name tags! Please use this LINK to order your – let us know your specific name request (nickname, pronouns, etc.). Thank you
Amy Shortt, our new Director of Music, began her ministry with us on February 15, 2022. Wear your name tag as an outstanding extension of hospitality to Amy! Learn more about Amy HERE
We are hosting regular and periodic gatherings using the platform “Zoom”. You should be able to join a meeting simply by clicking on the link provided, and following the instructions. You can also call in using the numbers listed below each event. For more detailed instructions on how Zoom works, CLICK HERE.
Thursday Morning Bible Study with the Rev. Elissa Johnk and periodic guest leaders – is on Zoom – at 9am on Thursdays. All are welcome in this informal setting that will engage you in learning more about and discussing the scripture reading for the upcoming Sunday. The Zoom LINK is: https://bit.ly/BibleStudywithElissa
Questions about participating in music at FirstChurchBTV? Come to a rehearsal &/or contact Music Director Amy Shortt at [email protected]
All rehearsals are at First Congregational Church UCC/BTV. We are masking inside – N95 mask type preferred for singing – we have extra masks available on site if needed.
OUR PODCAST: FIRST CHURCH PHONIC
CLICK HERE for First Church Phonic – https://anchor.fm/firstchurchbtv – offering you the opportunity to listen to:
– Spirit Seekers Interviews – including recent Spirit Seeker guests: Helen Head, Becky Levasseur, Richard Gagne, Hilah Clarke and Carlanne Herzog! Listen online on HERE.
OUR THRIFT STORE – THE POSSIBILITY SHOP is OPEN: The Possibility Shop is open – 10am-3pm on Wednesdays and Fridays.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Requirements & Limitations include: Masks are required; physical distancing required; limited number of shoppers at a time (you may need to wait for your turn to shop).
- DONATIONS: Please bring Possibility Shop donations to First Church any time between 10am and 3pm – Tuesday though Friday. Clean clothing and household items in good condition are always needed.
- ESPECIALLY NEEDED NOW: Warm winter outerwear for children and youth.
- VOLUNTEERS INVITED: On open days (Wed. & Fri., 10-3); on weekdays when the shop is closed (Tues. & Thurs.); &/or projects at home.
- Greet customers in the midway (near Church Office), count those entering and exiting, keeping the number within the allotted safe amount… a great opportunity for readers and knitters!
- Assist with the financial aspects of the shop, @two to three hours per month.
- Handle and help sell older, valuable items that are donated to the shop.
- Questions? call Karan Dewar 802-922-3821 or Brenda Fraser 802-862-4747. Thank you.
JOB OPENING – SECURITY STAFF: Learn more HERE