For EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES at First Church CLICK HERE
WORSHIP In Person at First Church or Online!
CLICK HERE or above to watch the recording of the worship on October 24on the FirstChurchBTV YouTube Channel.
CLICK HERE for the Order of Worship for Sunday October 24
CLICK HERE for the Announcements for Sunday October 24
You are invited to worship with First Church in person at 10am on Sundays in our Sanctuary at 38 South Winooski Avenue in Burlington OR on the FirstChurchBTV YouTube Channel. Worship services are live-streamed at 10am on Sundays on and the recordings are available anytime following the worship service. Fellowship time follows worship – in person outside on the First Church porch and lawns – and online on Zoom) following the live-stream of worship.
- VISITORS: This is a great time to visit First Church – in person for worship on Sunday morning at 10am – or remotely – as the worship will be live-streamed on our YouTube Channel at 10am on Sunday morning – a recording is available anytime after worship.
- PARKING: On Sunday mornings, the First Church parking lot is most needed and reserved for – our visitors, friends and members with mobility challenges. If that is your situation – please do park in the church lot. If you can drop off passenger(s) and navigate from street parking or the parking garage – please do. Thank you.
- MUSIC – We are in a search process for a Director of Music Ministries – meanwhile we are thankful for our lay musicians and vocalists!
- Ann Vivian is serving as our Fall Music Coordinator. If you are interested in participating as a musician or vocalist – or both – please be in touch with Ann ([email protected]) to learn more. All interested in participating in Bell Choir (novices welcome!) are encouraged to contact Director Jennie Coleman ([email protected]) about participating in rehearsals on Wednesday evenings from 6:45-8:15pm.
CHILDREN & YOUTH: For up to date information about the following programs for children and youth – use this LINK
- Church School for grades K thru 5 – each Sunday morning – in person at 10am – or remotely on Zoom from 9:15 to 9:45 am;
- Our in person Nursery/PreSchool at 10am Sundays First Church, and
- The Haven – our programs for middle and high school youth.
LIVING WELL SERMON SERIES: Our fall sermon series: “Living Well” got started on Sunday September 19 when Elissa’ sermon focused on the soul and continued on September 26 with a sermon focused on discerning vocation. The sermon series – which continues through October 31 – is based on the Rev. Scott Stoner’s book: Your Living Compass. Our discussion groups have started – the materials are also available for you individually here.
- Copies of Stoner’s book are available at Church. To purchase a copy ($17) – contact Office Manager, Caroline Catlin.
- Watch Elissa’s September 19 sermon HERE
- The Discussion Guide for the first sermon is linked HERE
- Watch Elissa’s September 26 sermon HERE.
- The Discussion Guide for the second sermon is linked HERE
- Watch Elissa’s October 17 sermon HERE
- The Discussion Guide for the third sermon is linked HERE
- The Self Assessment Tools described in the weekly discussion guides are grouped and linked HERE
FIRST CHURCH 101 – Explore Church Membership with the Rev. Elissa Johnk – All interested in learning more about membership at First Church are encouraged to participate with the Rev. Elissa Johnk – and First Church staff and lay leaders – following worship on Sundays October 17, 24 and 31. Details to come in upcoming First Church Newsletters or contact us at [email protected] to let us know that you are interested in receiving a specific invitation.
FALL SUNDAY VISION MEETINGS: Our Vision Team invites your participation in a Sunday 11:30am VISION MEETING – in person at First Church – or virtually on Zoom. We need every First Church member and friend to participate!
If you have yet to participate in a Vision Meeting, please sign up:
- Sign up for an 11:30 Sunday Vision Meeting on October 24 or 31 with the Vision Team representative at Fellowship Time on Sunday after worship or contact Susan Saunders at [email protected] any time. Thank you!
CLICK HERE to learn more about our Vision Team and our visioning process.
IT’S TIME TO PRE-ORDER CHICKEN & BISCUIT TAKE OUT DINNER TICKETS!
Thank you for pre-ordering tickets NOW as we try to meet a goal of 80 pre-orders!
- Jennie Coleman, Women of the Church and our FCCB Connections Team are inviting you to buy a ticket(s) – or donate a dinner ticket(s) – for a delicious take-out dinner on Saturday November 13
- Dinners are $12 each or a maximum of $40 for a family of 4 or more! Please place your order today using this online LINK: https://bit.ly/chickenandbiscuit2021
- Got questions? Want to volunteer to help prepare the dinner or donate a homemade apple or pumpkin pie? Please email us: [email protected]
NEWS & UPCOMING EVENTS
For information about upcoming events – CLICK HERE – on the “Looking Ahead” graphic above!
ON TO NOVEMBER:
First Church Work Day – Saturday November 6 at 9am: It’s simple…. mark your calendar and find your rake and work gloves and show up at First Church at 9am on Saturday the 6th and we we’ll work together to make the First Church property shine! Watch for more details in upcoming E-Newsletters.
VIA Racial Justice Housing and Land Ownership Presentation: On Nov 4 OR 7
You’re invited to attend a presentation with Vermont Interfaith Action about the effects of racial discrimination in housing & land ownership. Members of CSCC and the First Congregational Church are a part of a larger multi-congregation VIA Local Organizing Ministry addressing systemic racism that has disadvantaged people of color in accumulating generational wealth. The presentation will help us lay a foundation for pressing for the passage of legislation in Vermont beginning in January.
The same program is being presented twice – all are welcome to attend at whichever time is most convenient:
- Thursday November 4th 6:30-8:00 PMin the Perkins Room at College Street Congregational Church – OR
- Sunday November 7th at 11:30 AMin the Sanctuary at First Congregational Church. The presentation at First Church will be live-streamed on YouTube using this LINK: https://bit.ly/viaracialjustice7nov2021 – the link will also allow access to a recording of the meeting.
SILENT VIGIL FOR RACIAL JUSTICE – Sunday November 7 from 1:00 to 1:30pm: The Outreach Team at First Church invites all to participate in the monthly (first Sunday) Silent Vigil for Racial Justice on the front lawn at First Church. Bring a sign, a water bottle, a chair if you want – and join in to be in solidarity for racial justice in Vermont.
Great news! The Music Director Search Team has heard your feedback through the Visioning process, and we are live with our search! The job description is available HERE or to pick up at church. Please distribute widely to anyone you think might be interested. The job description is also being shared through local and national channels. If you have any questions, please contact the Search Team at [email protected].
JOB OPENING – SECURITY STAFF: Learn more HERE
VEGGIE GARDEN VOLUNTEERS – What week works for you?
Use this LINK to sign on to water, weed and harvest veggies from the First Church “Veggie Garden Boxes” – for one week in September – and we’ll send you all you need to know to support this important effort. Harvest produce is donated to “Feeding Chittenden” – the regional Food Shelf in Burlington. Sign up today, and we’ll email any necessary details!
THE WOMEN’S BOOK GROUP READING LIST for 21-22: The Women’s Book Group met in June to share ideas for books to discuss this year. Their selections are linked HERE. Book discussions are scheduled for the 4th Monday of the month at 7pm – on Zoom – in October on the 25th.
POSS SHOP Re-OPENS: We have good news to share! The Possibility Shop is open – 10am-3pm on Wednesdays and Fridays.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Requirements & Limitations include: Masks are required; physical distancing required; limited number of shoppers at a time (you may need to wait for your turn to shop).
DONATIONS: Please bring Possibility Shop donations to First Church any time between 10am and 3pm – Tuesday though Friday. Clean clothing and household items in good condition are always needed.
What a team! Join 30 First Church MOW Volunteers!
Click on the Meals On Wheels image to learn about becoming a First Church Meals On Wheels volunteer. Our First Church Meals On Wheels Coordinator, Al Weldon will help get you started!
We are hosting regular and periodic gatherings using the platform “Zoom”. You should be able to join a meeting simply by clicking on the link below the event, and following the instructions. You can also call in using the numbers listed below each event. For more detailed instructions on how Zoom works, CLICK HERE.
Bible Study with the Rev. Elissa Johnk and periodic guest leaders – is on Zoom – at 9am on Thursdays. All are welcome in this informal setting that will engage you in learning more about and discussing the scripture reading for the upcoming Sunday. The Zoom LINK is: https://bit.ly/BibleStudywithElissa
OUR PODCAST: FIRST CHURCH PHONIC
CLICK HERE for First Church Phonic – https://anchor.fm/firstchurchbtv – offering you the opportunity to listen to:
– Spirit Seekers Interviews – including recent Spirit Seeker guests: Helen Head, Becky Levasseur, Richard Gagne, Hilah Clarke and Carlanne Herzog! Listen online on HERE.
– Yet More Light prayer times with the Rev. Elissa Johnk.
– Story-tellers from May’s “Good Luck, Bad Luck, or No Luck at All!”